Bleached InuYasha Galaxy

Forums for the MUD (biyg.org 1801)
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: RolePlay Tips/Tricks/Hints
PostPosted: March 16th, 2007, 3:17 pm 
Voyager

As some of you may or may not know I'm the new Head Role Play immortal...
If anyone is new to the concept of Role Play(RP) or just doesn't know how to do it and wants to learn,it'll be my pleasure to teach you all i can.
All questions should be posted here...Just write and i'll get back to you ASAP.

Also,my colleague Jagen should be able to help with any questions if I'm not around.

Malakay

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 17th, 2007, 1:01 am 
Fellow player

If you don't mind, I'd like to add a few tips.
1. Roleplaying(RPing) is writing, you need to have good enough grammar and spelling to get your point accross. Only some RPs are strict about spelling.
2. This isn't essay writing, extra words and too much description is good... just don't write a book on how a mountain looks.
3. This isn't homework or required, so have fun! Unless you are the best writer ever you can't RP without haveing fun and it not show in your posts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 25th, 2007, 9:10 am 
Fellow player

and just a note to everyone if you'r grammer isint all that well, rp helps with spelling and punctuation and as most of you guys know im not all that well at puncuation and im new to the whole rp thing and i gotta admit it is kinda fun making up a stoy as it goes along cause anything can change so just have fun like malakay and hakuri said. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 25th, 2007, 3:05 pm 
Voyager

Indeed,for those who wish to improve grammar,vocabulary or spelling skills,RP can really help (see,there's a practical use to it too,and there's always the fun involved)...If however you need help,i've noticed Firefox has a very useful spell checker in the latest versions that might suite your needs...More so if you wish to RP in mud and are afraid that your spelling isn't up to it,keep in mind that the people you RP with only need to understand what you want to say (of course having impeccable grammar is a plus,but a good storyline and talent will always be on top of it...)

I actually think people tend to stay away from RP for this very reason,but it's a misconception.. RP revolves around the story one weaves...You could take a simple walk through Hira and make a RP from it if you have enough imagination and skill...

Also keep in mind that merely specifying that your spelling is a little rusty at the beginning of a RP will take that whole stress off your back.I don't think people are that absurd as to keep you from RPing for that sole reason (and if they are,do tell me and i'll straighten it out ASAP).

Ok ,as for Tatakai,he's only begun RPing a few posts ago and he's already evolving...
In time he'll have his skills perfected and refined...(Tata,the only observation i can make is that you might wanna have your Dialog stand out a little from the actual story telling...quotation marks come to mind,but then again you could use color,or bold/italic characters...

Let me tell you something that i use quite often...I think of what my generall idea about the RP is (a walk,a dream,a fight) and then as i do the actuall RP i think of what i think should attract people's attention (a name,a weapon or attack,an object,that kind of stuff)and try to make it stand out by use of the methods i mentioned before or even insisting on it's features...

The best way to develop your RP skill is by doing it,and learning from it and from others...So if your new to the concept and want a sneak peak into what's it's all about ether catch people doing a RP on the mud or just read some of the logs or RPs that we've done here on the forums...they'll work just as well in helping you get an idea of how things work...

Hope to see you RP soon!

Malakay

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 25th, 2007, 4:55 pm 
Fellow player

Also keep in mind that merely specifying that your spelling is a little rusty at the beginning of a RP will take that whole stress off your back.I don't think people are that absurd as to keep you from RPing for that sole reason (and if they are,do tell me and i'll straighten it out ASAP).

THere are, but It's in the first post in the thread, and I've seen none like that in these forums. The ones with that requirement also have a post length requirement and likly give out pre-made characters.

Tata, there a also toolbars than can spell check but Just cut your post, paste it in MS Word, and let it do the work but make sure it doesn't mess up names. Oh, and make sure you are on a forum that allows you to paste in the post box.