Bleached InuYasha Galaxy

Forums for the MUD (biyg.org 1801)
It is currently April 27th, 2024, 4:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: June 11th, 2006, 12:19 am 
Fellow player

Zeno wrote:
Yes I know it'd be better to wait for IYG to progress, but it'd also be better to get a head start on a Bleach theme before:
1.) Other Bleach MUDs start.
2.) The Bleach airs in the US.

This I can understand, because if there are other Bleach muds out, competition will errupt. But competition also means more idea sources, so Idk. Also, if it is before the anime is aired, ... Idk. But yeah I do get your point. It might not hurt if you start coding it now, on the side, and then add it later, when IYG is more developed and Bleach code is steady to be tried out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 13th, 2006, 1:40 am 
Fellow player

quite frankly im all for this idea although there are potenchal problems there are also potenchal benifits and as suck you must weight the benifit from the loss and in this case i find the benifit much greater. also this theam would help round out and add more to a modern era that is already lacking. if we where to do this though i would have to agree we should get on it fast before someone else gets to it and trys to slander us saying we are copying etc cas there are many jelous and bad muds out there that will do any thing they can to look good. on the other hand i do agree with alex that ther are many current things that need to be fixed or alterd but with a new theam it might encourage people here already to work harder and give the mud a new birst of life

Simzarian Alderack

Post subject: You talk a good game, BUT...
PostPosted: June 13th, 2006, 9:21 pm 
Head start or not, nothing you guys do will stop other Bleach muds from A) Being created, and B) Being better than what you can come up with. It's a sheer and simple mathematical eventuality.

Also, stating that IYG is the best Inuyasha mud is a farce; because it is the -only- Inuyasha mud that exists.

It should also be noted that Inuyasha is a very popular show as well, "all over the world" as you say. And yet, look at how that has actually translated over to the mudding community. A single, still-in-developement mud, and a single mux which, like all other muxes, will bore you to tears.

As it stands it sounds as though you're teetering dangerously close to repeating the same cliche mistake many, many mud developers makes; not finishing a theme and jumping onto a new one. And yes, you might _say_ that you plan on finishing IYG out and making it the priority over the Bleach theme. But as the saying goes: Talk is cheap.

Figure I'd give you an opinion from the other side of the spectrum, since you asked for it with your mudconnect post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 13th, 2006, 9:26 pm 
MUD Owner

Quote:
Head start or not, nothing you guys do will stop other Bleach muds from A) Being created, and B) Being better than what you can come up with. It's a sheer and simple mathematical eventuality.

I know. I said neither A or B.

Quote:
It should also be noted that Inuyasha is a very popular show as well, "all over the world" as you say. And yet, look at how that has actually translated over to the mudding community. A single, still-in-developement mud, and a single mux which, like all other muxes, will bore you to tears.

The problem being that MUDs are extremely rare in Japan, where the show originated from.

Quote:
As it stands it sounds as though you're teetering dangerously close to repeating the same cliche mistake many, many mud developers makes; not finishing a theme and jumping onto a new one. And yes, you might _say_ that you plan on finishing IYG out and making it the priority over the Bleach theme. But as the saying goes: Talk is cheap.

The InuYasha theme will never be finished. That's the way it is with online games. They are never finished. IYG will never be "finished".

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 14th, 2006, 12:08 am 
Quote:
The problem being that MUDs are extremely rare in Japan, where the show originated from.

Japan does not constitute the whole of the world. It is simply one country among many. And it cannot be said that the popularity of Inuyasha is limited only to its country of origin. Additionally, you missed the point of what I said. My meaning is that stating that Bleach is popular is not an indicator of its success in the mudding community. Inuyasha is popular, and yet it has, more or less, failed to meet up to the grandiose expectations you seem to have for the Bleach theme now.

Quote:
The InuYasha theme will never be finished. That's the way it is with online games. They are never finished. IYG will never be "finished".

I disagree. There are many games, online as well as offline, which are can be considered finished. Such games have gotten past their developmental stage, and have moved on to active play. The games are subject to further refinement later on sometimes; as are all games. But because a game that has passed this stage can be refined and improved upon, does not mean it is not "finished".

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 14th, 2006, 12:17 am 
MUD Owner

Quote:
Japan does not constitute the whole of the world. It is simply one country among many

Right, but with InuYasha it would be the most "important" country.

Quote:
Additionally, you missed the point of what I said. My meaning is that stating that Bleach is popular is not an indicator of its success in the mudding community.

I agree there. But since it's obviously more popular at such an early stage, I would say that constitutes more interest.

Quote:
I disagree. There are many games, online as well as offline, which are can be considered finished. Such games have gotten past their developmental stage, and have moved on to active play. The games are subject to further refinement later on sometimes; as are all games. But because a game that has passed this stage can be refined and improved upon, does not mean it is not "finished".

Even in active play, the game can still be developed as you said. As far as online games go, I do not believe they are ever "finished". Or maybe I'm not being specific enough. Even if I stop coding for IYG and never sign on again, that doesn't mean it's finished. There are people below me who work. Even ignoring that, there are players who develop the game. The society, the atmosphere, even the areas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 14th, 2006, 1:38 am 
Quote:
I agree there. But since it's obviously more popular at such an early stage, I would say that constitutes more interest.

It's what you may or may not do with that interest that is of potential concern.

Quote:
Even in active play, the game can still be developed as you said. As far as online games go, I do not believe they are ever "finished". Or maybe I'm not being specific enough. Even if I stop coding for IYG and never sign on again, that doesn't mean it's finished. There are people below me who work. Even ignoring that, there are players who develop the game. The society, the atmosphere, even the areas.

If to apply the terms of finished or completion with regards to IYG, I would think the qualifying terms would instead be something to the effect of the (near or full) completion of implementation of the varied factors present in the Inuyasha theme, including but not limited to, its "classes" (a word I use very delicately), races, powers, abilities, skills, areas, and other such things. I.e, the content.

In terms of metaphore, the hardcode is the body of a game, and the softcode the soul. All attempts by both player and admins to cultivate the soul are well meant, but if the body is frail or otherwise incomplete, then the full potential is not being met; and at the same time, the growth of the whole is stunted or otherwise slowed considerably. Only by completing the body of a game can its soul truly be realised. (excuse me if this is sounding a little to dramaticly metaphysical... :P). Or, more succinctly, as it was quoted by Edward Elric "...and as they say, the owner of a healthy body is the owner of a healthy soul."

I still believe online games can be considered finished, speaking from the aspect of the body of the game, of which such online games have finished working on.

Anyhow, I believe I may now be overstaying my welcome in this forum, or at least in this topic, by dragging it out along this tangent. So I'll conclude my opinions on the matter now, and simply leave my advice as it is. Good luck with the game, regardless of what you decide on and what it may or may not become.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 14th, 2006, 3:50 am 
Neo adventurer

This is from your friendly buddy over at NarutoMUD, I gotta say I've mentioned before I'd love to start a Bleach MUD if I had a partner in crime, however that is not the topic at hand. I, myself, am going to try to weasel in some Bleach themes into my game and I believe Inuyasha can fit Bleach in with minor edits.

Look at the Bounto, we didn't know about them until this Filler arc, who's to say demons and the like can't fit? You already have a modern world, which is where Shinigami and Hollows mainly roam, it is clear Soul Society isn't normally where most of the action happens.

I haven't played IYG for awhile, but I remember some races can get powerups, I think Youkai can. Why not make Shinigami a sort of 'sub-class' for Humans, you could also sneak in Quincy and Bounto in there for other ways Humans can experience the Bleach-ness.

Also, Bleach practically screams easy quest setup, since Hollows 'pop-up' all the time, it'd be cool to let Shinigami's go out and have to patrol a certain section of the Modern World for Hollows. The Shinigami would also be allowed to go to Soul Society every once in awhile, while other classes wouldn't need to and would have to force their way in but since it is so rare to get in, you wouldn't need to worry about that for a long time, if ever.

As for needing new areas, from what I saw when I played, your Modern World is a decent size enough to let some Shinigamis romp around. Throw in some code to allow for Hollows to only be see-able by certain people and maybe that NPCs would 'flee' if they saw explostions/damage starting to happen and that would be a tip off to other players to run if they were into fighting them.

Also, maybe for some player's there would be a way to be a Hollow? It sounds like a really cool way to make a PK transformation. So, you're a human and something happens and you zip to Hollow and your job is to 'eat' other player's and/or NPC's with a strong 'spirit energy'. It would add a cool dimension, on top of allowing for Shinigami's to champion for the common player and help them out.

Anyways, thanks for getting me fired up again thinking about a Bleach MUD...ugh, urge to create one rising....

Reguardless, good luck with your choice. Adios.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 14th, 2006, 9:37 am 
MUD Owner

Quote:
It's what you may or may not do with that interest that is of potential concern.

In order to "keep" people playing, yes. But to get people to the MUD when they haven't yet tried it, I believe the theme alone would attract more than say InuYasha.

Quote:
Anyhow, I believe I may now be overstaying my welcome in this forum, or at least in this topic, by dragging it out along this tangent. So I'll conclude my opinions on the matter now, and simply leave my advice as it is. Good luck with the game, regardless of what you decide on and what it may or may not become.

Not at all! This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

Quote:
If to apply the terms of finished or completion with regards to IYG...

I can't say I disagree with all of that ("content" meaning finished), but again even if I stop I have those below me that will most likely always be outputting areas. Even if they stop, more will be hired.

Quote:
I gotta say I've mentioned before I'd love to start a Bleach MUD if I had a partner in crime, however that is not the topic at hand.

That's actually something Alex brought up and I had thought about before he mentioned it. It would be the best possibility to keep IYG what IYG is, but I do not have the time to run and manage another MUD. Hiring builders is a pain enough on my MUD alone.

But yeah, Bleach would fit with IY surprising well. Weapon attacks go hand in hand, Demons vs Death Gods is a nice touch, we already have a Modern era, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 14th, 2006, 2:00 pm 
Neo adventurer

There really is no strong counter-argument to not putting Bleach into IYG except that it would dilute the theme a little bit. However, how popular is Inuyasha? Seriously, I sort of feel it's popularity never hit a very high level, espically in Japan where the anime was canceled. Bleach, on the other hand, will probably explode. Maybe it might be better to just make it a Bleach MUD altogether, scrapping IYG?

Even typing that makes me feel like your players are thinking wicked thoughts about me. :twisted:

Anyways, I really think it is time for a MUDs to have a bit more modern day stuff. It's awesome to feature fantasy, but a really cool modern day would be nice. With Bleach, you even luck out because guns have little to no impact on the story. Basically, all I'm saying is I want a Bleach MUD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 14th, 2006, 5:42 pm 
MUD Owner

Compared to Bleach, IY is nothing in popularity. But I won't junk the work I put into the MUD like that. IYG stays, either way. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 6th, 2006, 12:38 pm 
MUD Owner

See this topic for the decision.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2