Bleached InuYasha Galaxy

Forums for the MUD (biyg.org 1801)
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Damroll and Hitroll on equipment
PostPosted: April 12th, 2010, 8:06 am 
Fellow player

Damroll and Hitroll are two very important and powerful stats which many MUD veterans know about. It was able to be viewed in old SMAUG, and still remains an important factor even in BIYG. These 'sub stats' basically improve your damage and chance to hit respectively and are very valuable. I won't get into too much detail about how they work, and I do expect that those of you who do know keep the knowledge to yourself (letting those who do not know find out themselves), for it is basically MUD policy.

However, I've been looking into ways of making Two-Handed weapons a little bit more appealing for players to seek. Since Dual-Wield still seems to be preferred over it by most. Therefore I came up with a little formula for weapon items levels 50 to 100 to help this.

Essentially, what I did was give a high count of damroll to two-handed weapons as a bonus for wearing them (as well as having recently increased the minimum damage range they deal, leaving it at 3 times normal minimal weapon damage, up from 2 times normal minimal weapon damage.) And I also gave one-handed weapons a bonus in hitroll for wearing them (weapon damage range remains the same.)

To contrast and compare, I ran some tests. Naturally, two-handed weapons are very hard hitting, now. But without the right amount of Agility backing you up, you might find yourself dealing less damage than you should. For already hard-hitters with high Vigor, you will see an improved and drastic boost to your damage range with a two-handed weapon.

One-Handed weapons do not deal as much damage. Depending on the weapon and their base damage range, you'll find they deal about 100 to 200 less damage than a two-handed weapon. But with the hitroll increase, they land hits more often. It won't always make up for the loss of not wielding a two-hander, but if you dual-wield, you'll be almost neck-to-neck with two-handed wielders in damage.

Remember, two-handed weapons are built around dealing more damage. Meanwhile, one-handers usually vary, but not often deal as much damage.

Bottom line recommendations:

If you have high vigor, but low agility: try one-handed weapons focusing on agility.
If you have low vigor, but high agility: try two-handed weapons to buff up your damage.
If you have high vigor and high agility: I personally recommend two-handed weapons at this point, but dual-wielding in some cases may be preferred.

Post subject: Re: Damroll and Hitroll on equipment
PostPosted: April 12th, 2010, 1:52 pm 
Fellow player

Character name: Futch
Okay.. only for weapon levels 50-100?
Can't wait for this to be implemented.

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2010, 10:53 am 
Fellow player

ok, so here is part of my input on the whole 1h vs 2h topic here. My primary reason for using dual wield would be simply for the extra swing affects on certain one hand weapons, adding in a whole extra attack or more depending on if your using 2 1h items with this affect (though im not certain it stacks) and as for 2h weapons as far as i know there is none that have this affect on them, so if we give the minimum amount of extra swings from the 1h affect, its still adding for alot of higher level characters more then 200 damage.

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2010, 1:41 pm 
Fellow player

Xero wrote:
ok, so here is part of my input on the whole 1h vs 2h topic here. My primary reason for using dual wield would be simply for the extra swing affects on certain one hand weapons, adding in a whole extra attack or more depending on if your using 2 1h items with this affect (though im not certain it stacks) and as for 2h weapons as far as i know there is none that have this affect on them, so if we give the minimum amount of extra swings from the 1h affect, its still adding for alot of higher level characters more then 200 damage.

The extra swing effect is more or less an additional melee attack added to your arsenal. So effectively, having a weapon that is two-handed with a "numattacks +1" would serve as if you were dual-wielding.

However, when it comes to tanking, if you are not wearing a shield of some sort (which usually provide exceptional armor and endurance/health), dual-wielding is hands down much better than anything else. Solely because the skill parry is drastically improved with two weapons wielded at the same time. So there are some pros and cons, depending on the idea you are aiming for as your character build.

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2010, 9:06 pm 
Fellow player

Character name: Futch
Separate from dual wielding drastically improving one's ability to parry, there seems to be a hard limit of 90% for parry, or there is some kind of glitch when you fail to parry (or something else?) that drops one's parry ability down to 90% from 95%. 90% to parry with each hand? Shrugs.
Just something to keep in mind.

PostPosted: June 17th, 2010, 6:40 am 
Neo adventurer

Alexander wrote:

However, I've been looking into ways of making Two-Handed weapons a little bit more appealing for players to seek. Since Dual-Wield still seems to be preferred over it by most. Therefore I came up with a little formula for weapon items levels 50 to 100 to help this.

How's your weapon? What are an examples of two-handed weapons?

PostPosted: June 18th, 2010, 6:26 pm 
MUD Owner

amandz wrote:
Alexander wrote:

How's your weapon? What are an examples of two-handed weapons?

I'm removing your sig as it looks like an ad.