Bleached InuYasha Galaxy

Forums for the MUD (biyg.org 1801)
It is currently April 27th, 2024, 10:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A new stat: Willpower
PostPosted: April 28th, 2007, 12:29 am 
Fellow player

I think that the addition of a willpower stat could have a great effet on the game. It could make it so that you have a better chance of healing from a mortal wound (instead of hoping that by some random chance you survive), and could also help you in fights. For instance, if willpower is high, the player might recive a boost in stats (a small one if they are close to or stronger than their opponent in strength, and a larger one if their opponent is stronger than them.

(Of course, it could also help a Hanyou control itself in Youkai form a bit, but that's another matter...)

It could go up randomly when doing certain tasks (fighting mobs, pushups, anyhing that would take a while to showimprovemnt in the area you would want to improve).

It could even go down: for instace, if the player kills a mob of their allignment (not being able to resist the urge to go to the other side) or if a clan member dies in front of you (sadness).

Well, I'm done. I hope this is a good idea. Thank you for your time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 28th, 2007, 2:45 am 
Fellow player

It would go up after seeing a comrade fall, but perhaps down slightly for just a second or two first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 28th, 2007, 11:07 am 
MUD Owner

How would it know who would be a comrade?

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 28th, 2007, 12:14 pm 
Fellow player

Well...I was saying it could be based on who's in your clan. Of course, you could always make it so that there's a list of people you consider close friends...

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 28th, 2007, 12:30 pm 
MUD Owner

I don't think either would work.

Say a clan member suddenly betrayed the clan and attack a clan member. You being part of the same clan saw him die to another clan member in the room. Even though he betrayed you (and was still in the clan), you would gain Willpower?

Or the list. That would be able to be easily abused if people were able to make their own (thus people making alts to be killed to give out Willpower).

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 28th, 2007, 1:02 pm 
Fellow player

Okay. So maybe not the clan one. But for the friend one, you'd have to acutally see the person die in person, and if you're the one that kills them, it wouldn't do anything. It could also be slightly less random then regular stat gains (the slightly less part due to the fact that it isn't usually every day that you watch a friend die).

Of course, if you decide to take on the person that kills them, you might get a small temporary gain...

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 28th, 2007, 3:56 pm 
Fellow player

If you are grouped, and I thought of this 'stat' as more of a thing that is normally at zero that under some cercomstances gains or declines temperaraly, sort of like RL adrenaline or anime burts of power. Like Ichigo, almost dead, not giveing up the fight and still standing back up, or unable to stand up but still yelling insults, once his target walks away he basically passes out in some scenes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 28th, 2007, 4:40 pm 
MUD Owner

Aquan wrote:
Okay. So maybe not the clan one. But for the friend one, you'd have to acutally see the person die in person, and if you're the one that kills them, it wouldn't do anything. It could also be slightly less random then regular stat gains (the slightly less part due to the fact that it isn't usually every day that you watch a friend die).

Of course, if you decide to take on the person that kills them, you might get a small temporary gain...

But as I said, it'd be easy to abuse. Get a friend to sign on a pointless alt, then have another person kill that friend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 28th, 2007, 5:00 pm 
Fellow player

It the 'comrade' is 30+ levels lower than you, or must higher than you you aren't going to suddenly gain strength though will power. If someone stronger(or higher level...) than you is defeated it's unlikely you won't lose will power.

You might have to bend reality to make the lower level thing work, because someone of good align will be angered about anyone that isn't pure evil dieing, especailly of a lower level.

Too bad a failed rescue or failed aid would be easily abused too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 28th, 2007, 7:32 pm 
Fellow player

Zeno wrote:
Aquan wrote:

But as I said, it'd be easy to abuse. Get a friend to sign on a pointless alt, then have another person kill that friend.

Maybe if, in order for it to count, the person that is your friend would have to have a cetrain total of stat points gained, be at a cetain level, be a cetain (MUD) age, etc. That would help to balance it out.

Post subject: RE:
PostPosted: May 2nd, 2007, 10:31 am 
Fellow player

The only way I see such a stat working out without abuse is for it to go entirely by the player's action. Rather than other's. Attacking a certain aligned mob or player would work. Constantly in motion (improving) would increase it. Sitting around, talking. Doing nothing, would of course decrease it. Being near death would motivate you to survive. Ect, ect. But you guys got too technical when it came down to the friends/clan deal. We already have enough "personal" feelings flowing through such actions. Having your character actually affected by such a thing would be too much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 28th, 2007, 1:14 pm 
Neo adventurer

*bump* well, i just kinda skimmed through this, and i think....what if this stuff only worked when your grouped with said persons? ummm sorry if this was discarded ....heh...