Bleached InuYasha Galaxy

Forums for the MUD (biyg.org 1801)
It is currently April 27th, 2024, 3:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New addition to the Who list
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2009, 3:03 pm 
Voyager

Question: Why was this change made?

I for one see no reason, since this change basically is a removal of the cloak skill allowing all players to know who's on when their on.(even if they have logged on and off at different times the name is listed so you just need to check with whois to find whats what)
If by the slim reason its for those players who want to come into contact and know that a friend was on that day, isn't that why we have personal gnotes? A simple hey Juan drop me a line next time you're on through chat or gnote if you miss me so we can set a time to play together or something would suffice.

mmm now back to my earlier statement about it being a cheap version of removing cloak skill without removing it. I've been told if a player is hidden/cloaked you wont find them with whois unless you have detect on anyways? yes but letting them know who a possible invisible person is without them having to do anything but type who is just messed up.

to me it leaves no thrill to the players who lethal when they can then non when they cant leaving times to risk their necks and not to such a % where theres hardly any risk at all. can get on figure who's there or not in 10 seconds then run/hide/log/nonlethal.

mmm well this was interesting to write off the blackberry... sorry for the messed up rambling but i think i got my basic point across and if i hadn't.

I feel this new change should be removed because its just not needed for the game? maybe for immortal use? or even people within clans.. that could be fine i guess, but not a complete giveaway of who's logged in for that day.

Post subject: Re: New addition to the Who list
PostPosted: September 5th, 2009, 9:34 pm 
MUD Owner

This change was made to help connect the playerbase and show new players we have a community. Generally there are new players that create a char, type who, see little or no one and then sign off because they think we never have players.

I was already aware that this may cause some issues in terms of cloak and PK, but it was discussed here: http://www.mudconnect.com/discuss/discu ... ssage=6018

It looks like your post was made because you saw no reason for this change. Now that you know the reason, what are your thoughts?

PostPosted: October 26th, 2009, 8:07 pm 
Fellow player

I see and understand your reasoning Zeno, and I like the thought of preventing BIYG from becoming a ghost town. If it actually prevents the mud from shutting down I'm all for it. I see Juans side of the story too, my first thought was about cloak when I noticed the change. I support both sides here.

PostPosted: October 30th, 2009, 1:47 am 
Fellow player

Cloak could easily be redesigned to not display any information, and instead of being a skill it could be a knowledge/configuration which keeps the player from showing up online, or "recently played" listings. Of course, this happening is a whole different story. The idea seems reasonable, however, as cloak is an attempt for players to isolate themselves.

PostPosted: October 30th, 2009, 10:49 am 
MUD Owner

Isn't this already solved? :P