Bleached InuYasha Galaxy

Forums for the MUD (biyg.org 1801)
It is currently April 27th, 2024, 6:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Well Sniping.
PostPosted: January 26th, 2010, 10:53 am 
Neo adventurer

Another post I made got my thinking, I don't know if it's a problem these days. But still it bares a suggestion.

It's a well known fact that a player can camp on either side of the Well and PK players who transcend. Which even if a new player is trying to stay nonlethal, it causes drama. So my suggestion is the Well both in and before you enter should have the noPK flag.

Thank you for your time and consideration.
Ceres.

HEY HEY KIDS! IT'S CERES!

Post subject: Re: Well Sniping.
PostPosted: January 26th, 2010, 4:01 pm 
Fellow player

I agree it puts many players at a huge disadvantage and is relatively unfair to most. I will discuss this idea with Zeno.

PostPosted: January 28th, 2010, 12:08 am 
Fellow player

After a short discussion with Zeno, it was decided by him that things will stay as they are.

PostPosted: January 28th, 2010, 11:42 am 
MUD Owner

I didn't say it wouldn't happen, I said I need a more logic reason to do so.

Changing this because "I don't want to die" is as much of a reason as "I want to kill people". There are people who want to PK as well, even using a method like this.

In terms of the InuYasha world, I would need a logic reason for this.

PostPosted: January 28th, 2010, 2:46 pm 
Fellow player

Zeno wrote:
I didn't say it wouldn't happen, I said I need a more logic reason to do so.

Changing this because "I don't want to die" is as much of a reason as "I want to kill people". There are people who want to PK as well, even using a method like this.

In terms of the InuYasha world, I would need a logic reason for this.

"Logic in terms of InuYasha" is not exactly saying "you have an option to persuade me" :P

There'd be no logical reason. It is all simply for the sake of literally not being, in some form, harassed. Since, you know, it IS a game and not everything will be based on "logic." We've been over that a million times, now. As for why..? Again, as mentioned in previous topics; Death is a painful process for most. Especially via PK, as they get most, if not all of their hard-earned items taken away from them. The process of transcending can leave a person (many, at that) very vulnerable. Most MMOs (Yes, I am comparing.) have different penalties for death. EXP loss. Minor durability loss through combat. Or simply "having to walk back to your corpse." Other games like, Diablo and such can be a bit more brutal in the multiplayer sense. A player drops everything upon death.

But really? We've tried to aim to be as newbie friendly as possible throughout the times so we can encourage more people to play. So I would IMAGINE trying to stay away from something like that. I know we can't incorporate morals with something like PK. But to FORCE people to go lethal and be at risk due to something that is VITAL ingame? I thought that would have been something you would have stayed away from. You know, the whole "people not being obligated to use shards." side-by-side with the whole "I don't want people to depend on shards, either." Sure, it applies to the lore. But you are still making people go lethal, and go through the risk of losing it all just for that second alone.

PostPosted: January 28th, 2010, 3:54 pm 
MUD Owner

Quote:
It is all simply for the sake of literally not being, in some form, harassed.

Harassment will never cease to exist unless I remove PK and any type of player interaction.

Quote:
Again, as mentioned in previous topics; Death is a painful process for most.

That's the point. Death isn't suppose to be something you can just brush off. Especially in InuYasha. There is no wrong way for a game to handle death; some games are more extreme and others not. In EVE Online, it's open PK and if you die you lose your entire ship and everything in it. That's far more extreme compared to BIYG.

Quote:
We've tried to aim to be as newbie friendly as possible throughout the times so we can encourage more people to play. So I would IMAGINE trying to stay away from something like that.

I have no problem making the MUD more newbie friendly. But there is a HUGE difference between doing something to benefit newbies, and doing something to benefit newbies but which takes away something various players may enjoy doing. Changing our quests to have the mob mention the keyword to activate the quest was fine because it didn't detract anything from anyone. What we're talking about is completely different.

Quote:
But you are still making people go lethal

No, we are not. Group transcend exists for a reason. We are an online game. There are other players, and a number of them have shards constantly embedded.

Apparently no one here except me is looking at this from both sides and this is why I am not simply saying "Okay, I'll do this." If I am not considering all sides of an aspect, I am not handling game design correctly.

PostPosted: January 28th, 2010, 4:13 pm 
Fellow player

In the end, I suppose it doesn't affect me, personally. The suggestion wasn't even my own. :) So from here on, it is up to you and everyone else to care.

PostPosted: January 28th, 2010, 8:40 pm 
Fellow player

i think just inside the well should be a safe zone and if you forget to switch to non lethal before you leave then its your own fault. well if logic is the problem with why you dont set it up then what is the logical reason to have any safe zones in the game if not to give a person a place to come and sit and not have to worrie about dieing.

PostPosted: February 9th, 2010, 1:21 pm 
Fellow player

hell, dont even bother making it nopk, just make it no death, it will teach noobies a lesson, make sure and check your not lethal, then run around bitching because they got pked at well, or maybe even set a pk timer for say 10seconds, after transcending would help.

PostPosted: February 28th, 2010, 2:45 pm 
Fellow player

I would like to remind people there is a way to transcend, alone, without having to be lethal. under the rules of pets and the changes made by zeno, you can give a pet a shard, and as long as that pet doesnt help kill someone it cannot legally be killed by another player. This being said as long as the pet has a shard and is in your group and you have config +grouptranscend on as well you can order the pet to transcend and you will be transcended with it, thus never having to turn lethal and in turn wouldnt have a chance to be well sniped.

PostPosted: March 1st, 2010, 1:40 pm 
Fellow player

Xero wrote:
I would like to remind people there is a way to transcend, alone, without having to be lethal. under the rules of pets and the changes made by zeno, you can give a pet a shard, and as long as that pet doesnt help kill someone it cannot legally be killed by another player. This being said as long as the pet has a shard and is in your group and you have config +grouptranscend on as well you can order the pet to transcend and you will be transcended with it, thus never having to turn lethal and in turn wouldnt have a chance to be well sniped.

How clever, this idea. I like it.

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2010, 8:10 pm 
MUD Owner

Yes, I kind of mentioned that in change 495. That was the point of the change. :P

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2010, 3:06 am 
Fellow player

well i figured i would give the reminder, not many people would go over past changes so its good to mention them once in a well when an issue like this occurs.