Bleached InuYasha Galaxy

Forums for the MUD (biyg.org 1801)
It is currently April 28th, 2024, 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Improvements
PostPosted: July 25th, 2006, 2:12 pm 
so far i like the game, but would like to see three things i can think of off the top of my head more than anything else:

sub-races (already being worked on, can't wait for them)

stat system change (think this is also being worked on, not as important to me as the other two)

combat system - in my opinion it is a bit too fast and requires little input from the player. a slowdown of it to allow people to use skills and/or think about what's going on. best system i've seen in a mud is the one used by Dragonrealms. this one would take a lot of work to implement tho, so...

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 25th, 2006, 4:25 pm 
btw these are just what i have noticed so far and by all means not the absolute most pressing problems... i'll leave finding those up to the people who've played longer for now... everyone feel free to add/comment/flame whatever you wish about my post...

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 25th, 2006, 11:08 pm 
MUD Owner

Sub-races and changes to the stat system are planned, indeed.

We do not plan on drastic changes to the combat system. Could you explain further?

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 26th, 2006, 12:36 am 
*This'll probly be a big one... grab a snack... most numbers are not facts but examples, i.e. you may or may not get 20,000 exp for killing 30 large demons. hope you understood that mess, and the one that follows...*

I've played lots of MUDs but BIYG is the only one with such a fast combat system. now, a fight between a level one and a bear cub (for example) should NOT last an hour, but it also shouldn't be the blink-of-an-eye thing it is now... in my opinion, at least. the best combat system i've seen so far, like i said, was in a game called Dragonrealms. It's pay to play, but has a 30 day trial, so if you want you can see what i'm talkin about...

to start, the number of mobs you must kill. it's harder to kill whatever you're up against (if it's near your level) but gives more rewards per kill. this would make more sense to me, because it seems more realistic for a player to be killing four or five goblins versus 30 large demons for their 20000 exp. upping the reward per kill would ensure that the time it takes to level is relatively the same. i think this makes kills feel like more of an accomplishment and make skills more useful.

also, when a character performs an action (attack, use <skill>, etc.) there are visible indications of roundtimes. if it will take 5 seconds to do something, it says 'RT: 5 sec' and (don't think this can be done with IYG yet...) shows 5 bars in the imput box counting down, dissappearing with each second. players know how much time they have before the next action.

now, the real combat stuff. NO AUTOATTACK, since it is much more in-depth than the current system. where to begin? multiple types of attack, nearly all useable with any weapon but not all necessarily effective with the weapon. for example, SLASHing with a sword would be effective, while BASHing with a club would work well. but minimal damage would be inflicted by someone BASHing with a katana. the purpose of these are twofold: for the cosmetic fun of using multiple attack types, and the challenge of using the correct combos to balance your character. that i should explain in a different paragraph... but the purpose is to add a more 'strategic' feel than a 'spam' feel, which i notice a lot in the low levels i've been in.

**official 45-min mark**
***man i'm gonna have to write a summary too***

Different weapons; swords, clubs, halberds, daggers, or even bare fists; have two main catagories. first is the type of damage, i.e. slashing or blunt, and second is the weight class. Dragonrealms (DR) has fists/brawling, light, medium, heavy, and two handed, with seperate catagories for ranged weapons. the type affects the attacks that will work for damage, and the weight class affects balance and roundtime. the heavier it is, the longer it takes to attack with it and more base damage it delivers. (reduced time with vig for heavier types and increase damage for light weapons with dex)

Wow, this is getting LONG... ok, next up is balance. using commands that flow well together give you better balance and therefore an advantage. you slash your sword, then sweep it low, then draw it up again, slashing the opponent with three attacks that keep you balanced. new players to the MUD often slash, slash, slash, slash, and end up terribly balanced. this bit is probly something advanced and hard to add, something to pop in to spice combat up a bit and make it more challenging and fun.

**52 minute mark**

this post has to be cut short i'm afraid, for the purpose of proofreading and giving my head a short rest. these ideas are a combination of what I've seen in DR and what I wanted to see changed, some good things about it and my own ideas. criticize, praise, build on, flame, and generally let your opinion be heard on all this. Some assebly required, proofreading not included.

just wait for version 1.1 where i proofread and clean it up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 26th, 2006, 6:31 pm 
MUD Owner

I think you might be confusing the combat system with mob design.

Quote:
I've played lots of MUDs but BIYG is the only one with such a fast combat system. now, a fight between a level one and a bear cub (for example) should NOT last an hour, but it also shouldn't be the blink-of-an-eye thing it is now...

That actually depends on how well the mob is made. Haira was the first area (and was made to be temporary) so it's not the best area.

Quote:
also, when a character performs an action (attack, use <skill>, etc.) there are visible indications of roundtimes. if it will take 5 seconds to do something, it says 'RT: 5 sec' and (don't think this can be done with IYG yet...) shows 5 bars in the imput box counting down, dissappearing with each second. players know how much time they have before the next action.

We have that, use the %d variable in a prompt.

Quote:
now, the real combat stuff. NO AUTOATTACK, since it is much more in-depth than the current system.

We really don't plan on that. Since InuYasha is an intense theme with demons etc, the auto-attack system fits very well.

Quote:
Different weapons

Of course we have different weapons and different weapon skills.

Quote:
Wow, this is getting LONG... ok, next up is balance. using commands that flow well together give you better balance and therefore an advantage. you slash your sword, then sweep it low, then draw it up again, slashing the opponent with three attacks that keep you balanced

That would go well with a non-auto combat, but not with automatic combat. Although we have recently installed weapon attacks, if that's close to what you mean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 26th, 2006, 7:37 pm 
yeah, most of this is just my thoughts on it so far... by no means things that have to be done to it, i just noticed that the newbie village mobs were either demolishing me or dying in a hit or two... not good for practicing extra combat moves like kick and dokkasou. the thing about the village being temp explains it i guess. i'll play around more and clean up the post (hehe i wrote that at like 10-11 pm so it's not that clear) when i've played the game longer. i realize you know what you're doing and still like the game so far. i'll keep this thread updated as i find new things, and later write 1.1 on the combat thing too in the future.

also, when i talked about the rountime indicator, it is automatic in DR and so newbs like me could find it :mrgreen: and i just thought it was very convinient. when i talked about the weapons i meant using bare hands (brawling skill), for example, felt vastly different than using a spear. so far (yeah still a newb so i'm not what you'd call an expert) i've seen a difference in damage but none in attack speed, hit/miss, etc. i'll look into it further since i haven't had any time to truly test it, and the difference isn't neccessarily as huge and glaring as it is in DR.

about the village being temp... hehe didn't know that, but since the game is still in developement i figured it would be changed plenty in time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 27th, 2006, 12:17 am 
Neo adventurer

just to drop my 2 cents...
I've played both DR and Inu and I can see what he was thinking of

To support the counter points...the DR codebase from my experiences was completly custom and has had years of development. Therefor a revamped combat system like that is unlikey (not to say that its impossible)

However, in comparrision to other muds, the combat is fastpaced. At what is considered midbie level (50's) fights last all of the 20-30 seconds. Usually ending with mobs doing 0-300+ damage a hit. That isn't a problem at all, but the fact that it's so random and that even the most basic mobs can land 2-5 hits in a round. I sometimes wonder...even with all the combat skills maxed, is it possible for a mob to do more attacks in a round than me?
But like i said, I don't know as much about the mud as some other players. This is just my perspective from my 100 active hours pt. *shrugs*

As I said earlier...Im not claiming to know everything about the code's variables and such. Just from what I've seen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 27th, 2006, 3:28 pm 
yeah i know DR has a very complicated and advanced combat system that would take forever to copy... but I don't really want a complete copy. just a few eleents here and there would improve the game... but currently the combat system is functional and decent, therefore doesn't need improvement. it is mostly something nice to add once the other unfinished parts (subraces, etc.) are done... possibly once we've been around as long as DR, we'll get one as advanced as theirs.

i knew when i posted that my suggestions were not going to be something that popped up when i next logged in, but think there is still a good chance of at least some of the suggestions finding their way through eventually. especially after i clean it all up.

i like this smiley. :shock: