Bleached InuYasha Galaxy

Forums for the MUD (biyg.org 1801)
It is currently April 24th, 2024, 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Endurance?
PostPosted: July 21st, 2010, 12:33 pm 
Neo adventurer

I would REALLY like to see 'situps' added to the Mud as an alternative way to raise Endurance, much like pushups with Vigor.
Endurance seems to be the most difficult attribute to raise as a low-mid lvl character, I think this would increase stat benefits for the lower lvl characters so that they may enjoy the help that endurance gives to your character whereas now the benefits of endurance really only show up as you get past the mid-bie level simply because you don't see many characters with high or even decent endurance until like lvl 70ish

Post subject: Re: Endurance?
PostPosted: July 21st, 2010, 4:36 pm 
Fellow player

Underbellylover wrote:
I would REALLY like to see 'situps' added to the Mud as an alternative way to raise Endurance, much like pushups with Vigor.
Endurance seems to be the most difficult attribute to raise as a low-mid lvl character, I think this would increase stat benefits for the lower lvl characters so that they may enjoy the help that endurance gives to your character whereas now the benefits of endurance really only show up as you get past the mid-bie level simply because you don't see many characters with high or even decent endurance until like lvl 70ish

I do believe some new work-outs and methods of gaining stats are being worked on. However, I cannot shed much on it. While I understand your frustration on the lack of endurance training, I do hope you can remain patient until the day comes. :)

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2010, 8:32 pm 
MUD Owner

Yes, this has been planned but I would like something to be put in that's not a duplicate of pushup. Throw ideas at me.

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2010, 8:55 pm 
Neo adventurer

Ok well here is an idea... I know you are friendly with the guys from NaturoMUD, and i've played that mud briefly before. I recall something, I believe it was called 'shadowboxing', that allowed you to train stats while also adding a slight interactive quality to it, where you had to type in commands as you are prompted. I think this would be a good *additional* method to training all the physical stats (vig,agi,end) but NOT to replace the existing method. Though... I'm not sure if you'd be willing to borrow the idea from them and tweeking it to work with BIYG. Since first playing that mud for a brief time I always thought that method of stat training was rather unique and far more interesting than traditional stat training.

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2010, 8:57 pm 
MUD Owner

As much as Gatz and I are good friends, I'd rather not. Plus I want to keep things simple. I'm fine with situps, just has to do something slightly different aside from situp, wait, situp, wait, etc (like pushup is).

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2010, 9:26 pm 
Neo adventurer

This might be a little too complicated, but i figured it would be a good way to get players to use two existing skills that very rarely get used.
SO.. essentially you will need to construct a wooden training dummy, much like seen here:
http://superiormartialarts.com/cgi-bin/uniform/perlshop.cgi?ACTION=thispage&thispage=wingchun.html&ORDER_ID=266141935&affiliate=!affiliate!
of course by using wood collected via the 'chop' and prepared using the 'makefire' skill, first to provide the needed wood then fire to char the wood to harden it up a bit.
The resulting training dummy (which could also spin on an axis, swinging the arms, in order to allow the player to actually enter combat with the item) If you make is so combat can be entered against the dummy, of course it would either have a high armor rate to simulate the obvious sturdiness of wood, but would eventually break due to use. More pointedly though, it would be a mob that would deal minimal damage while providing no exp to the player fighting it, making it perfect for training in order to work on endurance by providing some inanimate object to wail on you while you work out.
I figured that would be interesting, and get some use out of those two skills (which I know hardly anyone uses)

PostPosted: July 24th, 2010, 12:43 am 
Fellow player

Character name: Futch
just don't take any cleavers or katanas to it. Used to be training dummies in Sakuragawa, I think Alex might like it.

PostPosted: July 25th, 2010, 4:28 am 
Fellow player

As far as the dummy is concerned, if you are required to enter combat, you might as well be concentrating for Endurance. Which we already have.

Some of the ideas I had in mind were integrating endurance gains with the 'chop' skill. Making it both more useful and logical. The only problem is the overabundance of chopped wood that would be all over the MUD. In which case I would propose adding cost to the chopped wood and allowing some shops to purchase said items.

Another idea which could use some fine-tuning is: a sit-up command, of course. And it would work two ways. First you'd have to be sitting down. The player then can execute half a sit-up (torso to knees), then enter the command again to finish the sit-up (back against floor.) The possibility of a stat gain would most logically occur at the end of the sit-up. First half could tax 5-10 stamina, and the second half could tax 15-20 stamina. Standing up or doing anything other than finishing your sit-up would disrupt the process, resulting in no gain. The problem I see is this being easily spammed/botted. But that is already possible with our other workouts. So I suppose that's no excuse.

Feel free to contribute some more ideas!

PostPosted: July 25th, 2010, 4:32 am 
Fellow player

Another quick and dangerous idea!

A command much like jog/block that could be activated and remain on until cancelled (not able to toggle while in combat). I can't be sure of the name of it yet. But the basic idea is this:

"Command" is active. Player is now 5-10% more susceptible to damage. While in combat there is a chance to gain endurance.

So basically it would work like block, but reversed effect. Like mentioned above, it would remain active for the entire time until cancelled, but cannot be toggled on/off during combat.

PostPosted: July 25th, 2010, 11:02 am 
Neo adventurer

Alexander wrote:
A command much like jog/block that could be activated and remain on until canceled (not able to toggle while in combat). I can't be sure of the name of it yet. But the basic idea is this:

"Command" is active. Player is now 5-10% more susceptible to damage. While in combat there is a chance to gain endurance.

Maybe add in a new combat stance? One that would raise the chance of gaining endurance by dropping all defensive/offensive stances and allowing the opponent to hit the player their absolute hardest with no hindrance, a 'nostance' stance i suppose, for lack of any creative name... But also:
While remaining solely in this stance, the player would no doubt lose tons of health... So maybe make it joinable with the 'block' skill, as in: In the 'nostance' stance you have like... idk.. 15% chance of gaining a Endurance, but 'nostance' with 'block' active gives you a 10% chance, but also allows you to stay in combat for a longer period without getting completely torn apart.

Essentially, it would be left up to the players discrepancy as to how they would go about doing it..

PostPosted: July 25th, 2010, 5:57 pm 
Fellow player

Character name: Futch
Alex's wood idea is great considering the future and crafts. That's my opinion.
Masochist stance?

PostPosted: July 27th, 2010, 12:53 pm 
Fellow player

Alexander wrote:
Another idea which could use some fine-tuning is: a sit-up command, of course. And it would work two ways. First you'd have to be sitting down. The player then can execute half a sit-up (torso to knees), then enter the command again to finish the sit-up (back against floor.) The possibility of a stat gain would most logically occur at the end of the sit-up. First half could tax 5-10 stamina, and the second half could tax 15-20 stamina. Standing up or doing anything other than finishing your sit-up would disrupt the process, resulting in no gain. The problem I see is this being easily spammed/botted. But that is already possible with our other workouts. So I suppose that's no excuse.

Feel free to contribute some more ideas!

so pretty much a crunch

PostPosted: December 12th, 2010, 1:02 am 
Fellow player

well here is my idea on it. if you want an endurance training exercise i would suggest something like having your character slam their body into a tree or wall or some other solid object and you have a chance to increase your endurance of course the process of this would take health instead of stamina like the others, after all endurance is just tolerating pain in this particular case. i will leave the name up to whoever. and to whoever wants to dispute the part of it taking away health with each use i believe it should for the fact that is exactly what you gain from this stat, or atleast that is what most people are aiming to gain for it.

PostPosted: October 11th, 2011, 5:15 pm 
Fellow player

Taking a bit from Alexander and a bit from Xero, then perhaps like Alexs' idea of vigor gains through chop, doorbash/doorslam should also have a chance to increase endurance. Still some sort of exercise for lvl 1 characters should be thought out... I'm wrapping my head around possibilities.

PostPosted: October 16th, 2011, 12:02 pm 
Voyager

Teepo wrote:
Taking a bit from Alexander and a bit from Xero, then perhaps like Alexs' idea of vigor gains through chop, doorbash/doorslam should also have a chance to increase endurance. Still some sort of exercise for lvl 1 characters should be thought out... I'm wrapping my head around possibilities.

I think they're trying to avoid this.