Bleached InuYasha Galaxy

Forums for the MUD (biyg.org 1801)
It is currently April 27th, 2024, 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: poisoning VS no-damage
PostPosted: September 27th, 2010, 11:33 pm 
Fellow player

i think that something should change with this dew to the fact it becomes a paradox in a way

i understand that when you poison a weapon it "dies" per say and just vanishes yet my question is wouldn't the
weapon have to take some sort of damage for it to die .

my best argument at the moment is

normal weapon you fight with it after a time the where and tear of battle will make it break so it is a "mortal weapon" in a sense

a special weapon that has no break and or no damage will not be affected by wear or tear at so it would be an "immortal weapon" per say

now how can you shorten the lifespan of something that is immortal :P

my brain to finger filter isn't working as well as i would like right now so if this makes no sense i apologize

my main point of this is i think no damage weapons should be changed to ether not be affected by the vanishing by poisoning or they shouldn't be able to be poisoned at all

Post subject: Re: poisoning VS no-damage
PostPosted: September 28th, 2010, 12:24 am 
Fellow player

I'll keep this clean and short so some of you can understand.

1.) Assassin Blade (which I see are the items in question here), are currently no-damage. They will be removed next Kasai fix.
2.) The No-Damage flag is being removed from almost all items in-game. Only some really rare items will bear this flag.
3.) The no-damage and nobreak flags were designed AFTER the skill poison weapon was introduced. This means poison weapon is not going to be redesigned to fit the addition of these flags.
4.) Only weapons designed to be "poisonous" will have this effect on them naturally (and cause no decay). When applied, poison weapon will cause weapons to decay accordingly. (In other words: Only weapons intended to not decay will not decay. All weapons which have poison weapon applied to them will decay accordingly.)
5.) The Helpfile says it all.

In the end, I understand your approach, but it won't be relevant for long. With all these changes taking place, it turns your argument null.

P.S. The nobreak and no-damage flags will NOT stop the weapon from decaying now, or ever. Regardless of logic, argument or anything.

PostPosted: September 28th, 2010, 1:17 am 
Fellow player

okay thanks for making that short and simple

would it be possible for the rare weapons that do have no break or no damage to also have a no poison flag so that people who dont read this wont run into the same problem later on

PostPosted: September 28th, 2010, 1:20 am 
Fellow player

Lol. Why in the world would I have Zeno create a flag that prevents them (the players) from poisoning weapons just because they don't read the helpfile?

PostPosted: September 28th, 2010, 1:27 am 
Fellow player

well some people might go at it with the logic i had in my mind at the time

PostPosted: September 28th, 2010, 1:34 am 
Fellow player

paladine wrote:
well some people might go at it with the logic i had in my mind at the time

Buddy. Guy. Friend. Person. Don't know how else to tell ya, to be honest.

Weapons that are "rare" will have either the nobreak flag or the no-damage flag. Be it rare drops or quest rewards. (Basically anything that has stats in it.) Generic items (items that just have armor/damage values) will break and take damage normally. Items INTENDED to support poison will already HAVE it. Of course, these items will be extremely rare. Items INTENDED to disappear REGARDLESS of no-damage or nobreak will after they suffer the effects of poison weapon accordingly. We will NOT be held accountable for players refusing to read a simple HELP POISON WEAPON helpfile. NOR will we create ways to ensure that players are constantly aware of the consequences of poison weapon, considering we ALREADY have a helpfile available that STATES there is a penalty for using poison weapon.

The MOST...

... and I will see to this...

... that WILL happen... Is that the helpfile is more clear about the consequences of poisoning a weapon (REGARDLESS OF NO-DAMAGE OR NOBREAK, MIND YOU). That's about as FAR as it will go.

PostPosted: September 28th, 2010, 1:39 am 
Fellow player

okay thanks for taking the time to explain this

PostPosted: September 28th, 2010, 1:40 am 
Fellow player

No problem. :)

PostPosted: September 28th, 2010, 1:40 pm 
Fellow player

Character name: Futch
The message "mysteriously vanishes" is rather vague. I don't think most poison would be able to cause a weapon to just vanish.

PostPosted: September 28th, 2010, 2:01 pm 
Fellow player

(massively edited to not hurt feelings)

Dear Futcher,

That's how SMAUG designed it.

Yours truly,

Alexander
Head Builder of BIYG

PostPosted: September 28th, 2010, 2:09 pm 
Fellow player

Also in responses to logic, in real life chemical warfare - some 'poisons' cause items, skin, and other materials to degrade over time - eventually reducing to ashes. Even metals that are deemed "unbreakable."

Makes sense to me.

PostPosted: September 28th, 2010, 2:12 pm 
MUD Owner

More details: Items have a field called "timer" which was a system setup to let items "decay" in any manner (such as fountains drying up, corpses decaying, portals expiring, etc).

So for poison weapon, it had to be balanced. Per the comments in the code:
Quote:
* Set an object timer. Don't want proliferation of poisoned weapons

Which then sets the "decay" timer. The expiration message depends on the item type, thus why it says nothing about poison.

And Kyokyo is right. Poison will eat away at items.

PostPosted: September 28th, 2010, 2:41 pm 
Fellow player

If one did not know the poison message, and did not poison a weapon, it is very possible he or she would not know why "Sunderer's hammer mysteriously vanishes"
The message gives no real relation to poison.
I know this is how smaug designed it. I don't think the goal of the game is to stay as stock smaug. I don't want BIYG to just be SMAUG.
This game is supposed to be in alpha. I don't believe it is truly in alpha, as the punishments that have been carried out suggest we are at least in beta.
But if the game was in alpha, then how smaug designed it wouldn't have to be a solution.
I also think 6 ticks isn't a long enough decay timer for poisoned weapons.

To make it short, Not all all types of poison and venom in the real world will degrade weapons. Someone who actually spends hours envenoming various weapons with different substances would know. I don't think anyone here is actually a master of various poisons and venoms.
Poison is ingested or inhaled, Venom is generally injected.

I don't think the envenoming aspect of the game should be limited to its current status just because some poisons in the real world degrade metal.
Various substances can be used to envenom a weapon. Plants, arsenic, chemicals, venom from objects (stonefish, and snakes being some).

Another fact: a couple items 'loaded' on mobs in slayer's forest "mysteriously vanish" after being looted. I didn't know they did that because they were poisoned until I watched a couple of rusty swords disappear that I had poisoned.

PostPosted: September 28th, 2010, 3:03 pm 
Fellow player

Okay, so like I told Paladine

Dear Futcher,

That's how it is, and that is how it'll remain.

Yours truly,

Alexander
Head Builder of BIYG

On a side note: Maybe with all this talk about how horrible poison weapon is, we should just maybe remove the skill.

PostPosted: September 28th, 2010, 3:26 pm 
Fellow player

I thought I hinted in my post that the type of attitude alexander just displayed is going to betray the progress of the game. It does not need to remain, 100%, without a doubt and forever, that way.

Imagine you had a really large game with tons of players (like WoW) would you want to have a skill in the game that could be used to remove almost any weapon in the game by 'accident'? It is also just slightly confusing.

I don't know if I would remove it or not, but based off of my players reactions I would make a decision. With as many players as that, there is bound to be enough bad reactions to convince me that as it is, it is harming the game. As it is, I think the negatives of the current skill outweigh the positives on a global scale.