Bleached InuYasha Galaxy

Forums for the MUD (biyg.org 1801)
It is currently April 27th, 2024, 5:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: poisoning VS no-damage
PostPosted: September 28th, 2010, 3:33 pm 
Fellow player

Futcher wrote:
I thought I hinted in my post that the type of attitude alexander just displayed is going to betray the progress of the game. It does not need to remain, 100%, without a doubt and forever, that way.

Imagine you had a really large game with tons of players (like WoW) would you want to have a skill in the game that could be used to remove almost any weapon in the game by 'accident'? It is also just slightly confusing.

I don't know if I would remove it or not, but based off of my players reactions I would make a decision. With as many players as that, there is bound to be enough bad reactions to convince me that as it is, it is harming the game. As it is, I think the negatives of the current skill outweigh the positives on a global scale.

You've also not provided a single piece of useful information or even an idea. To criticize my "attitude" and saying it'll "betray" the game is just your preference over me speaking. With no constructive feedback, which you've both failed to provide, I can safely say that it'll remain that way. Or that ultimately, the skill is removed due to poor feedback. It is truly that simple. You've not gone as far as hinting ANYTHING that could potentially solve the self-proclaimed issue at hand. All you've done is say "it makes no sense" and went off about explaining how other items should be allowed to be poisoned. Which holds no relevance to poison weapon, as a skill.

There are no accidents. Just assumptions, by you, the players. The helpfile clearly states it will lessen the lifespan of any weapon that is poisoned. That is the nature of the "poison." That is the drawback and effect of the skill. And it is beyond me, as to why neither of you seem to understand that.

Long story short.

Before you make comments about me, or a skill, or anything. Get your facts straight, because you've not been very helpful. We've explained to you how the skill works. Even on a code level. We've explained why and we've given a logical reasoning behind why it works the way it works. Yet you debate and even result into attacking my way of addressing both of your highly uninformative posts. That simply won't do.

PostPosted: September 28th, 2010, 3:49 pm 
MUD Owner

Quote:
I know this is how smaug designed it. I don't think the goal of the game is to stay as stock smaug. I don't want BIYG to just be SMAUG.

We aren't just Smaug. We're far more. But we're built on Smaug and there are many things that are the groundwork and would take a lot of time and effort to rework, whereas I could instead be spending time creating new features. There are things I wish to rework yes (armor for example) but it will take time.

Quote:
This game is supposed to be in alpha. I don't believe it is truly in alpha, as the punishments that have been carried out suggest we are at least in beta.

I'm not sure what punishments has to do with this. In fact, punishments have been rather light. I've only deleted someone once in the past. When someone has multiple offenses, things like deletion will be more common when we have the rules/etc fleshed out in beta.

Quote:
I also think 6 ticks isn't a long enough decay timer for poisoned weapons.

Maybe not. In Smaug, it was a range between object level and player level. But because we don't use object levels, it was changed. It may be change again in the future.

Quote:
To make it short, Not all all types of poison and venom in the real world will degrade weapons. Someone who actually spends hours envenoming various weapons with different substances would know. I don't think anyone here is actually a master of various poisons and venoms.

Right, but we don't have a complex poison system. Nor are there plans for one.

PostPosted: September 28th, 2010, 4:25 pm 
Fellow player

Character name: Futch
I am not going to tell you what to do, or how to do it. I am not going to give suggestions, I believe that is for the game makers to do on their own.
You do not need to explain to me how the skill works, even on the code level. I already have know how it works.
"That's the way it is in smaug, and that's the way it'll remain" is going to CONTINUE to betray progress. I don't care AT ALL about poison. You seem to think I have attacked you or am attacking you. That is not true. In my opinion the issue about poison is not an argument.

Quote:
There are no accidents. Just assumptions, by you, the players. The helpfile clearly states it will lessen the lifespan of any weapon that is poisoned. That is the nature of the "poison." That is the drawback and effect of the skill. And it is beyond me, as to why neither of you seem to understand that.

In response, I do understand.
Quote:
Before you make comments about me, or a skill, or anything. Get your facts straight, because you've not been very helpful. We've explained to you how the skill works. Even on a code level. We've explained why and we've given a logical reasoning behind why it works the way it works. Yet you debate and even result into attacking my way of addressing both of your highly uninformative posts. That simply won't do.

I have given you far too much information, and there is not a goal in sight.

You've said that's the way it'll remain, but you know I don't think it is appropriate for the head builder to be the authority on coding matters.
Quote:
Yeah, everything you say is probably true, but it is still inappropriate as you are acting as a roadblock! The coder should be the authority, and I think you may have made some players feel like they need to take an extra unnecessary step. I know all the feedback is looked at by Zeno, but you stop players.

Well that would be my attack..If you feel like I attacked you because I expressed my thoughts on your attitude and comments, then I would like you to know I was not trying to attack you. I would also like you to know that i think that attitude does not promote progress. Finally.. you attack many peoples comments and attitudes. It would be better just to focus on the most relevant ideas. No one needs to be told they attacked you, no one needs to be told they don't seem to understand something. It would be much better to focus on the relevant ideas.
1) 6 ticks is too short.
2) Poison has the potential to upset players by making their weapons disappear. And on a large scale, this is my only concern.
3) The message 'mysteriously disappears' is far too vague. It does not hint in itself that the reason it disappeared is because of poison.
4) 3 leads to confusion. This is another reason why the message should be changed. It might be considered typographical, but the message holds no relevance to poison. xxxx and zzzz could be considered typographical, and the confusion of receiving the line "xxxxyour item is now gone" is a bit more than just a typo.
5) There are various different substances to envenom weapons.
6) 5 suggests the envenoming of weapons should be made more complex. As it is poison weapon doesn't know the different between any types of poisons or weapons.

There may be no plans now, but surely we could suggest there be some plans in the future...
I know biyg isn't just smaug, but I think there is nothing wrong with modifying what of biyg is stock.
So that'll be my attempt at relevance. I hate it when a piano is playing in my ear. The end! for me.

PostPosted: September 28th, 2010, 4:37 pm 
Fellow player

Quote:
You've said that's the way it'll remain, but you know I don't think it is appropriate for the head builder to be the authority on coding matters.

When I say it'll remain that way it is because I know it will. Be it because of my own valued input in conversations between myself and Zeno, or because of his own words stating as much. Which countless times in the past have been said.

Quote:
Well that would be my attack..If you feel like I attacked you because I expressed my thoughts on your attitude and comments, then I would like you to know I was not trying to attack you. I would also like you to know that i think that attitude does not promote progress.

Neither does your incompetent comments. But you don't see me saying anything about it, till now. Furthermore...

Quote:
I don't care AT ALL about poison.

Then you're in the wrong topic talking about the wrong thing(s). Make a new topic in the Feedback section, since you're not willing to cooperate in giving constructive feedback about POISON WEAPON as a skill in the corresponding topic.

Quote:
Finally.. you attack many peoples comments and attitudes.

I haven't attacked anyone. That I make you feel inferior or offended is beyond me, seeing as how neither of you have been able to provide a single GOOD idea, fact or comment up until...

Quote:
1) 6 ticks is too short.

Zeno explained this already. Item levels were removed, hence it being now shorter. Since items are expected to have a base durability of "12" that is why they take that much to decay. Furthermore, items decay based on game time. 6 ticks in the MUD can be interpreted as hours.

Quote:
2) Poison has the potential to upset players by making their weapons disappear. And on a large scale, this is my only concern.

This has been addressed in the helpfile. Neglect to read the helpfile before using the skill falls on the players, not us, the immortals.

Quote:
3) The message 'mysteriously disappears' is far too vague. It does not hint in itself that the reason it disappeared is because of poison.

Provide a better suggestion if one is to be had, rather than it just being "vague."

Quote:
4) 3 leads to confusion. This is another reason why the message should be changed. It might be considered typographical, but the message holds no relevance to poison. xxxx and zzzz could be considered typographical, and the confusion of receiving the line "xxxxyour item is now gone" is a bit more than just a typo.

Same thing as stated above.

Quote:
5) There are various different substances to envenom weapons.

But in this game there is currently only one. And this is what it does. Destroy your weapon over time.

Quote:
6) 5 suggests the envenoming of weapons should be made more complex. As it is poison weapon doesn't know the different between any types of poisons or weapons.

As Zeno said, this would take time we need to continue on to reach Beta. That is something we cannot currently afford. Furthermore, there aren't any other types of poisons other than the one. ... As listed above.

And last, also hopefully least...

Quote:
I have given you far too much information, and there is not a goal in sight.

Most of the information you HAVE given is completely irrelevant to the topic.

PostPosted: September 28th, 2010, 5:27 pm 
Fellow player

just make a flag when you start to poision a weapons are you sure you want to add a poision to said item as the item will eventually decay or somthing like that, and futcher please dont piss alex off, becuase if he decides to take a break because some fool of a player keeps flamming i will kill you when ever i see you on the mud becuase i want him to get his shit done so i can get it and move on with my mudding life. and zeno is busy as hell with rl and adding and fixing content and other weird shit that i dont kow about. and trying to fix somthing that is a ground work would probbably take him a few weeks to get running even close to smoothly no offensice to zeno or his coding wich is pretty kickass by the way.

PostPosted: September 28th, 2010, 5:30 pm 
Fellow player

Quote:
just make a flag when you start to poision a weapons are you sure you want to add a poision to said item as the item will eventually decay or somthing like that

That could be possible, but entirely Zeno's choice.

Quote:
and futcher please dont piss alex off

Don't worry. :) I am not pissed, nor will I leave because of a player. So fear not.

PostPosted: September 28th, 2010, 5:50 pm 
Fellow player

Alexander wrote:
Quote:
just make a flag when you start to poision a weapons are you sure you want to add a poision to said item as the item will eventually decay or somthing like that

That could be possible, but entirely Zeno's choice.

Quote:
and futcher please dont piss alex off

Don't worry. :) I am not pissed, nor will I leave because of a player. So fear not.

alright kool, and thats good i wish you were still o nthe forums cause i am having a problem right now with the areana lol. but i posted it

PostPosted: September 30th, 2010, 12:02 pm 
Fellow player

crap didn' t realize my little comment would make such a fuss lol

A. how you explained it did sink into me

alex to your earlier post about ideas on how to fix it i have a few that may or may not be good

1. have different types of poisons such as like poison dart frogs,poisonus plants venom from snakes and chemicals such as acid to name a few

2.have it to where you have to collect the items like certain snakes would have a venom gland as a rare drop and you could buy acids and chemical poisons in modern

3. have the affects of the poisons do different things to the weapons such as plants and venom just wear off after awhile where as if you add acid or chemicals to the blade it does the whole vanish thing

4. set it to where the different types have a dif chance of poisoning the enemy such as say plants would be at 15% venom at 30% chemical 50% and acid at 70% chance of success

5. you can set it up simalar to the harvest or whatever abillity it is for gathering mushrooms and stuff

these are just ruff ideas that i know might be hard and time consuming to implement but you kind of ask for ideas for a solution so here it is :P

PostPosted: September 30th, 2010, 1:02 pm 
Fellow player

These are all creative options which may be considered. But only in a distant future. Your input, however, is appreciated and it may be looked back upon for future reference.

PostPosted: September 30th, 2010, 1:34 pm 
Fellow player

Character name: Futch
I finally remembered something that might be considered useful.
Missile weapons, specifically arrows, can't be envenomed/poisoned!

PostPosted: September 30th, 2010, 1:35 pm 
Fellow player

kool hopefully i can finish this out line i have and zeno likes it so i can start helping out with building

PostPosted: December 11th, 2010, 10:08 pm 
Fellow player

I demand that any weapon i poison explodes in a glorious fashion that will damage me and everyone around me for half of their total health upon expiration. thank you and have a nice day. :D

PostPosted: December 12th, 2010, 8:08 am 
Fellow player

Xero wrote:
I demand that any weapon i poison explodes in a glorious fashion that will damage me and everyone around me for half of their total health upon expiration. thank you and have a nice day. :D

A mass AoE poison, self damaging attack...

I LIKE HOW YOU THINK MY GOOD SIR... I LIKE HOW YOU THINK...