Bleached InuYasha Galaxy

Forums for the MUD (biyg.org 1801)
It is currently April 27th, 2024, 2:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Unused Apartments
PostPosted: April 10th, 2011, 9:50 am 
Neo adventurer

After taking a little tour through Juuban Gardens, I've noticed a large number (at least a dozen) owned by players that haven't logged on since 2005, and 2006. Those are just the ones that are unlocked, open, and I can walk right inside and see their name in the room name and finger them. Who knows how many more there are, considering the other section above Juuban, and in other areas.

Well, my point is that if they haven't logged on in...5 or 6 years, they're probably not coming back. I chatted with 2 other players besides myself wanting to get an apartment, and it just seems as though they're largely owned by defunct pfiles.

Basically I was hoping you might consider freeing some of them up. Also, I wanted to mention that I noticed a lot of cool new changes, and I am enjoying all the new things to discover. Thanks guys!

Post subject: Re: Unused Apartments
PostPosted: April 10th, 2011, 1:34 pm 
Fellow player

Apartments have been a big issue for a long time, and I too hope that something is done by beta aside the addition of more apartments. Because, let's face it. At least 2-4 apartments are owned by the same person with multiple characters. Which really is a bit unfair, considering how things are now. Unfortunately, as a builder, I can't do anything about this.

Maybe Zeno should consider adding something to check for idle apartments and have them be cleaned out... I would offer some sort of 'check' so that the game keeps track of people owning multiple apartments with multiple characters. But this would require some sort of 'account' functionality which Zeno has expressed a dislike for. I can't see it working otherwise, however. If you or anyone can offer ideas as to how this may be managed, it'd probably help get the idea flowing and sooner action may be taken. But note that the two things I've already mentioned are unlikely. The first having been introduced a long time ago and nothing still being done about it up to date.

PostPosted: April 11th, 2011, 5:17 pm 
Neo adventurer

I'd definitely like something done with this (even if its just to expand the current apartments, or to evict people who haven't logged in since 2005). There are many (current) active players that just do not have the option of having an apartment. :(

Also, if a change to the mechanics is up for grabs, and coding is involved anyway... Why not just make it simple. Players can enter if they are grouped with the owner. Owner can kick players out of the apartment with a command. Have a config option which can disallow followers to enter. Cannot quit in the room.

Gets rid of the whole keypad bit. No need for Keys. That would open apartment options up in feudal without the need to worry about keys or keypads.

PostPosted: April 12th, 2011, 3:23 pm 
Voyager

Character name: Secoiya
How about do a rent upkeep like every month and players can pay as many months in advance as they want? That way players that have apartments and are still playing regularly have a chance to lose their space due to neglect.

PostPosted: April 12th, 2011, 11:40 pm 
Fellow player

Character name: Futch
I think a lot of things. A lot of things most of you probably find useless, impractical, or whatever.
One may be the idea of developing a housing system. I personally like it when the game conveys existence. Keypads, keys, houses, and apartments all contribute to the idea of "existence" in my opinion.

I believe that the focus for a real-working storage system would be diverted if time and effort would be spent on managing the current storage system. I believe it should be, as much as possible, automatic. But if upkeep fees are implemented, I think players should be able to get their items back (one way or another) Back-pay perhaps?

PostPosted: April 13th, 2011, 7:52 am 
Fellow player

Well, these are all great ideas in their own right. But I think Zeno might be looking for a more immediate approach on solving this issue. The ideas that are being offered will probably take a great deal of code.

PostPosted: April 13th, 2011, 10:35 am 
Neo adventurer

@Secoiya: Not too much though for some of us littler (in terms of lvl) players :P Maybe only a max of 6months up front :P Thats if the code needs to be changed, anyway.

@Futcher: Point taken in terms of realism. I did hate the idea of having keys which could be pk'd off of you ( at least in the other muds I was on )

@Alexander: True. wasn't sure if game mechanic changes were up for discussion or not ;) hehe. I don't quite recognize the current apartment system as a smaug plug, and the housing/rent snippet I remember from back and the day can be annoying to implement on some versions of smaug.

if its just a matter of building a new area with apartments (and lots of nice content, progs, etc) that can just be plugged in at the right spot, I might be able to help as soon as my exams are finished. ( I used to build on quite a few smaug muds in the past).

PostPosted: April 17th, 2011, 8:45 pm 
Fellow player

just dont get rid of my app, lots of rare stuff i have in my holdings and i still log in once in a while lol.

PostPosted: August 11th, 2011, 2:41 am 
Neo adventurer

i think incorporating a permissions based apartment entry by saving what apartment a person owns after they buy it would be better than a keypad. i also think that instead of physically entering the apartments through hallways you should enter the elevator or the hall way for the apartments and have to select the apartment you own from a list or have the elevator/hallway automatically enter you into your room.

my opinion

PostPosted: November 12th, 2011, 2:48 am 
Fellow player

i have a simple idea keep all the apartments the way they are and just make in front of each one an up exit with a door leading to another room for new players you wouldn't need to make new areas and it would save time other than having to do it. i mean it sounds good in my head and everything so yeah and it seems pretty simple.

PostPosted: November 12th, 2011, 11:43 am 
Fellow player

Character name: Futch
So you want to add more rooms to the zone?
I forgot what Zeno wants to do for apartments. Maybe he'll tell us.
But if I had an idea, it would be something like make an exit with the character's name.

PostPosted: November 12th, 2011, 8:17 pm 
MUD Owner

Sabaku wrote:
i have a simple idea keep all the apartments the way they are and just make in front of each one an up exit with a door leading to another room for new players you wouldn't need to make new areas and it would save time other than having to do it. i mean it sounds good in my head and everything so yeah and it seems pretty simple.

An exit can only lead to one vnum, so I'm not sure what you're saying.

PostPosted: November 17th, 2011, 3:40 am 
Fellow player

i mean like how it is displayed with the east west north and south depending on where your appy is just add up, or down keypad what ever unlokc the door see what i mean? i have no idea how to build or anything so i might b way off