Bleached InuYasha Galaxy

Forums for the MUD (biyg.org 1801)
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: thoughts on dodge/parry...?
PostPosted: June 11th, 2013, 2:51 pm 
Fellow player

Character name: Futch
Almost every mob has dodge and parry. The effectiveness of dodge and parry seems to be mostly based on the level difference of opponents. If the level difference is great enough, the mob will dodge or parry every attack. I don't know if this is to prevent low level characters from killing high-level mobs or players.

Maybe dodge and parry can be based more on agility?
I'm a bit biased. I think all skills should be based on stats. And I dislike the traditional leveling system where your character goes from level 1 to level 2, and so on.

Post subject: Re: thoughts on dodge/parry...?
PostPosted: June 19th, 2013, 8:05 pm 
Fellow player

Futcher wrote:
Almost every mob has dodge and parry.

Every NPC is currently being reviewed and changed so that almost all NPCs do not have both dodge AND parry. In most cases they will have one or the other.

Futcher wrote:
The effectiveness of dodge and parry seems to be mostly based on the level difference of opponents.

Dodge and Parry's effectiveness IS somewhat based on level. Because levels increase a hidden stat called 'hitroll', which determines dodge, parry, hit, miss, etc.

Futcher wrote:
If the level difference is great enough, the mob will dodge or parry every attack. I don't know if this is to prevent low level characters from killing high-level mobs or players.

Even characters who have remorted or happen to have particularly strong gear are expected to have difficulties killing NPCs who have a much higher level. If we changed this, "Powerleveling" will be much easier, and this is something we want to avoid. The race from 1 to 100 is supposed to be one that takes time - gradually becoming harder as you increase in levels - much like stats.

Futcher wrote:
Maybe dodge and parry can be based more on agility?

They already are. We can't really change much of this as it would change the entire foundation of how combat works.

Futcher wrote:
I'm a bit biased. I think all skills should be based on stats.

In some way or another, most of the important skills are in fact stat based. Sometimes it is just difficult to gauge.

Futcher wrote:
And I dislike the traditional leveling system where your character goes from level 1 to level 2, and so on.

Unfortunately, that cannot and will not be changed. Again, it is too much of a drastic change for the entire MUD. EVERYTHING would have to be changed to accommodate this if it were to be removed.