Bleached InuYasha Galaxy

Forums for the MUD (biyg.org 1801)
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Base shard rate
PostPosted: May 4th, 2014, 8:55 pm 
Fellow player

Character name: Akatosh
Okay. So this is what I think of the base shard rate.

I think it's too high compared to the amount of 1 player being logged on adds to the shard rate.
Right now, the base shard rate is 100% while 1 player adds 6%. I think this gap does not encourage
players to stay logged on. I think a larger sense of community could be gained if a player had more
impact on the shard rate. And I think it would encourage players to log on.

I think a player should add at least 20% to the shard rate (but I personally believe a very low base
shard rate should be used.) Zeno could, for example, decrease the effect 100% shard rate has on
shard spawns while increasing the player effect to 20% (or higher).

Related: for the shard rate, adding +1% per sequential player logged on might be encouraging.

Post subject: Re: Base shard rate
PostPosted: May 5th, 2014, 9:57 pm 
MUD Owner

100% just means the normal shard rate (such as before this shard rate bonus existed). If I were to reduce the base, that'd pretty much be lowering the base chance of all shards. I do think we can up the % bonus a player signed on does, if that's what you mean.

But it's 6% because shards tend to be in surplus. For example, there's about 35 shards out on mobs right now. Then there's about 30 more in rooms (buried, etc).

PostPosted: May 6th, 2014, 10:10 am 
Fellow player

Yes, I know 100% means the normal shard rate. But I think you SHOULD lower the base chance of all shards.
You can keep it at 100%, but just reduce the impact '100%' has and increase the % a player signed on does.
Players should have more of an impact on shards spawning (in relation to the normal shard rate), imo. Increa-
sing the shard rate a player being logged on adds would be cool.

Right now, it takes about 16 players to be logged on to double the shard rate. There's just no point (in this context) to stay logged on.
I think it depends on how rare you intend shards to be with more players on. Although, you can still keep this effect if you deceive players.

I also think you could increase the playerbase by increasing the impact a player being logged on has on shard spawning (or just making it 'look' like they are having a larger impact.) The gap between the normal shard rate and the effect a player has on it, needs to be decreased to encourage players to stay logged on. I'm sure players would still log on to shard hunt (or accomplish any activity) for however long they decide to. However, I still feel this change could increase the playerbase and bring some sense of community to the mud.

I would imagine 30 shards is about how many shards are out there after a player clears (shard hunts) the mud.

P.S. Sorry if I'm confusing. I'm trying to be clear and understandable. I'll keep working on my communication skills.

PostPosted: May 14th, 2014, 5:08 pm 
Fellow player

I was never a fan of increasing shard rates per players online. I always thought an exp multiplier was more reasonable. As it stands, shards are incredibly commonplace. Especially for the high tier players.

PostPosted: May 14th, 2014, 6:12 pm 
Fellow player

Rarer shards would also be great.