Bleached InuYasha Galaxy

Forums for the MUD (biyg.org 1801)
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Big Project, Big Changes
PostPosted: May 30th, 2014, 5:58 pm 
Neo adventurer

Character name: Dakeyras
First of all, my ideas are geared towards Sword Art Online (and finally giving Stamina a purpose) - however, since the existing themes are heavily influenced by PK, most of the ideas I'm offering would still translate well into the BIYG universe.

1. Remove the Level system
2. Alter the stat system so that they are more meaningful to current gameplay than just damage output (physical and magical), health, chi, and stamina gains per level
3. Determine a suitable replacement for the current skilling system that doesn't require levels

1. Levels

At this stage of the games' development I feel that levels only serve a few mundane purposes. Mainly those purposes are health/chi/stamina gains, acquiring new skills, and determining whether or not you can land hits on an opponent. The latter hurts the current stat system the most, leaving the game in an unbalanced state. For example, if Player A (Level 40, 500+ stats) tries to fight Player B (Level 78, 150+ stats), the player with the higher level will win the fight. Unfortunately, it's much harder for Player A to hit Player B, that has 30 levels over A, because Levels still affect a players to-hit chance.

2. Stats

Apply physical mitigation (should also lightly effect magical/elemental/spiritual mitigation) and block chance (after agility check) to the Endurance stat.
Add elemental/magical mitigation to the Intelligence stat.
Add spiritual mitigation to the Wisdom stat.
Dedicate the Hitroll, to-hit chance, and dodge chance to the Agility stat. (should sufficiently remove the current level/stat imbalance)
Dedicate the Damroll and parry chance (after agility check) to Vigor stat.

With the removal of levels and the increased impact of stats to the game, I have a few ideas that could help overcome some difficulties that new players with base stats might have:

Experience gained through mob kills could be used to train stats (low stats would cost less experience, and as the base stats grew the cost to train them would be increased)

Experience gained through quests completed could be used to train stats (same idea as above)

Quest rewards in early areas could reward players with stat points (+ 1 - 3 of a stat of their choice, using the Qbit quest system already in place to prevent players from completing mundane quests and boosting their stats)

3. Skills

At the moment, I don't have any solid ideas, as of yet, to gaining skills/abilities with the removal of levels. However, that being said - if we go back to Sword Art Online, they had skills that they gained through "prerequisites". If we said a prerequisite for Lightwhip was "Youkai", then any player being Youkai would have access to the ability, however if the prerequisite were to be "Youkai, 500 Jakai" then only a player with 500 Jakai and of the race Youkai could have access to the ability. Another thought is that a skill/ability could be a quest reward for significant quests, again using the Qbit quest system. If Zeno or Alexander have any interest in these ideas, I'd love to help brainstorm for concrete solutions to these problems.

With that said, I know that IYG was already a successful MUD with a dedicated playerbase before Bleach was introduced to the theme. Now, I'd like to consider adding Sword Art Online to the MUDs growing theme. To keep to a story that accommodates all themes, the game could take place on a Seed that introduced IYG and Bleach into the original story of Aincrad. If anyone is open to discussion I would be thrilled.

Post subject: Re: Big Project, Big Changes
PostPosted: May 31st, 2014, 4:09 am 
Fellow player

Character name: Akatosh
Here's a short response. (Btw, your post is pretty.)

"Alter the stat system so that they are MORE MEANINGFUL to current gameplay" - I agree that stats should mingle more.
I've always liked the idea of removing levels. I think it would be more fun and better if things revolved more around stats.
I don't think levels actually add to hitroll. There's like a secret "stat" that supercedes it. Higher-level advantage makes it easier to hit/dodge/parry. Also, remember that poison will negatively affect mentalstate by 20 or more depending on the afflicted's Endurance, thus making it easier to be hit.

I like your ideas. I suspect the game would benefit from reorganization of the code, especially concerning stat effects. (I don't know, though. I'm not Zeno.)

The quests sound good to me. Perhaps classes as well.

Post subject: Re: Big Project, Big Changes
PostPosted: June 6th, 2014, 6:34 am 
Fellow player

Character name: Akatosh
Also removing levels or slowing down level-advancement could give more reasons to group. One of the reasons people do not group is because one member or another won't gain exp. I was reading an article. It mentioned levels and player interactions..