Bleached InuYasha Galaxy

Forums for the MUD (biyg.org 1801)
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: My retirement and what is to come
PostPosted: April 12th, 2011, 7:27 am 
Fellow player

I've been with this MUD... for... Well, a pretty long time. I keep changing myself around and the content I deliver so that things stay fresh and new for everyone. But to be honest, I can't say I build for any of you. Not even Zeno, who is a close friend of mine. I build because it is fun. I build because I love to do so. There are times where I just... spark up ideas, or something motivates me to work on some things and I eagerly do so until it is seen and experienced by you, the players. Unfortunately, the community doesn't change. This isn't limited to just the MUD community. Society as a whole is just falling in deeper and worse than before. This shows by the way most of you behave. About 90% of you literally log in just to cause trouble. To antagonize others and somehow manage to find satisfaction in that. Despite my efforts to unify the player base through ideas and suggestions, content (grouped, etc) and such, you always find a way to somehow create conflict. Sometimes, I can't even believe my eyes at the things some of you will fight over for. I know, some of you are probably thinking one of two things: 1.) This is just a game or 2.) This is where I come to vent. But that's hypocritical on most aspects in most cases. If it was just a game, some of you wouldn't become hell-bent on trying to PK someone. Of all the things I've come to create and offer, 90% of the MUD is still consumed by unnecessary conflict through PK. I know the game supports PK, but I didn't come here to build a PK MUD. If I did, I'd go find my way to Godwars, or something along those lines. The point is, other content exists, too! There are other aspects people refuse to explore! The environment itself is filled with effort, lore and adventures waiting to be had. The MUD itself is Roleplay friendly, encouraging people to further immerse themselves in the lore of the game and the story of their characters... Yet... PK still reigns as the only focus for a majority of the player base. Again, it is simply disheartening. But I didn't come here to preach about peace and love. Not me. Not Alexander the Great (BIYG Edition). Not the chaotic God of Destruction. No. I did, however, want to throw that out there so a little insight about how I feel (and my rationalizing behind my current thought pattern) is made clear to you, the players. I've been thinking about this now for YEARS. Retiring from the MUD entirely, that is. But something keeps drawing me back. Aside the special place in my heart this game holds, it is just addicting for me. I love to create it. I love to experience it. I love seeing my work be used in what I consider one of the most important things in my life (yes, it is one of the most important things in my life. I've experienced a lot of things and met a lot of people through here). So you can imagine letting it go has been difficult. That, and I still feel the game has not reached its full potential. And I know I can help it get there. But still, the thought still persists. Sometimes I get discouraged. Sometimes I can't find time. Sometimes I witness things that makes me not want to further contribute my effort to the MUD.

(On a side note, the old PvP port 1804 was my idea, which was in hopes of dividing the hardcore PKers from the casual gamers. It was also a great way to monitor PK encounters and point out a lot of the imbalances that currently grip the aspect of PK. This, however, was foiled. I thought, and still believe, that the concept is great in its own right. And it would allow for a greater focus on players to have what they seek. Regardless, all I can do is express myself and offer ideas. At the end of the day I don't call the shots as far as the production of the MUD is concerned. Building is my primary and only real department.)

With that out of the way, let's talk about what it means when my retirement comes, and when it may happen. I'll also speak about the possibility of this not entirely taking place, but solely in one form or another.

WILL I really retire? The truth is, I really do not know. WHEN will I retire? The truth is, I still don't know. There is a certain quota in my mind that has to be fulfilled before I take that action. If I do retire, I envision it being sometime before or right after Beta starts. Will ANYTHING stop me from retiring? Oh, sure. I am positive there are at least a dozen things that could potentially stop me from doing so.

So what can you expect before any of this comes to pass, you may be wondering...

- Complete Redesign of the Foreboding Region of Kasai
- Complete Redesign of Kaede's Village
- Complete Redesign of Birds of Paradise (Wolves Region)
- Complete Redesign of the Southern Coastline
- Complete Redesign of Sawakami Region
- Possible Complete Redesign of other areas (particularly areas I did not create, such as Slayer's Village, Forbidden Forest, etc.)
- New Miko Shrine area
- New End Level area
- New Villager (Feudal) Newbie Area
- Possible addition of Bleach areas (such as Seretei, Hollow Forest, etc.)
- New Afterlife
- Blood Master Class
- Miko Class
- Countless new items, mobs, quests and achievements!

So with that said, I think it is pretty safe to say I will not leave you guys empty handed, at least with my original plan. But things always keep changing.

In the meantime, continue to show your support for the MUD. Zeno and Myself can't be the only ones to get this great MUD up there on our own. We need your help, too! For now, that is all. Stay tuned, and take care.

Post subject: Re: My retirement and what is to come
PostPosted: April 12th, 2011, 7:39 am 
Fellow player

Oh, on a side note!

Today is my birthday, and I will be taking some time away from home. Spending a week or so with my friends over at New York. I might even get lucky, find a job and stay there once again! We shall see. This just mean a small delay on the work I've been doing with Kasai.

PostPosted: April 12th, 2011, 10:59 am 
Fellow player

It would be really weird if you retired. I try and frequent the MUD but sometimes I wind up forgetting about it and just not playing it anymore. Though I like to go back every now and again to see how things are going, but now....after reading this, wow. If all people are doing is coming to vent and plot against others, I don't even know. The game is supposed to be mainly for fun, it's sad to see that all of you guys hard work has been reduced to this.

I know how you feel though about completely leaving the game. I'm usually drawn back in from time to time but all the new things to explore and to do kind of wind up throwing me off.....>.>;

Anyways! Don't retire. Lol

Again, Happy Birthday Alex and good luck finding a job! ^_^

PostPosted: April 12th, 2011, 11:43 am 
Neo adventurer

But but but..... I don't plot! That's all that should matter ;) lol jk. I often think of what the game would be with more of a balanced pvp system, though.

Happy Birthday, Alexander!

This must be a tough decision, regardless. From what I have been hearing, you have put a lot of nice work into things. As a previous MUD Builder/Programmer, I respect you for that :)

PostPosted: April 12th, 2011, 1:44 pm 
Fellow player

@Kitana: A majority of the conflict really is unnecessary, is what I am trying to get at. Sure. The content I provide is made use of. But at best, it is like skimming through a book. You're not really enjoying it. Just getting the gist of things, enough to acquire powerful items and then go pick fights. And I cannot say that makes me happy.

@Ferrin: I know not everyone has that mentality. But if you look at the pattern, anyone anywhere near a half decent standing is always looking to prey on other players. It is actually kind of disgusting. As a player, I never really preyed on Newbies. Not unless they were trolling, flaming @$$holes that needed to be killed. (Granted, it doesn't accomplish anything, but the release of frustration was always welcomed.) But yeah, ultimately it is a tough decision. And as implied, I have put a lot of effort in the things I deliver. I thank you for your compliment in regards to the respect for me and my work. :)

PostPosted: April 12th, 2011, 11:19 pm 
Fellow player

Character name: Futch
Oh! Happy birthday.
Mine was April third, btw.

PostPosted: April 13th, 2011, 7:48 am 
Fellow player

@Futcher: Thank you. :) Happy be-lated birthday to you, too!

PostPosted: April 17th, 2011, 8:37 pm 
Fellow player

happy birthday alex, wish i was around more often and i may bring myself on more often soon. i personally believe that once the alpha is over and the beta (along with its pwipe) is in people can assume new names, new identities with which they can avoid some of the more personal pvp encounters. regardless of your decision should you retire at a time i cannot contact you i wish you luck my friend.

PostPosted: April 18th, 2011, 1:48 pm 
Fellow player

Xero wrote:
happy birthday alex, wish i was around more often and i may bring myself on more often soon. i personally believe that once the alpha is over and the beta (along with its pwipe) is in people can assume new names, new identities with which they can avoid some of the more personal pvp encounters. regardless of your decision should you retire at a time i cannot contact you i wish you luck my friend.

Yeah, I do believe you are right in regards to the pwipe. All we can do is wait.

But, thanks partner. You and I go ways back, and it means a lot to me. I do hope you find some time in the future to visit us more often. Take care of you and your's, though. Talk to you soon.